Hardie Grant Books is one of Australia’s leading independent publishing companies with offices in Melbourne, Sydney, London and San Francisco. We are a multiple award-winning publisher of narrative and illustrated non-fiction. Our books are conversation-starting, creative, intelligent, global and commercial and we pride ourselves on our diverse list of authors and creators. Our team are welcoming and friendly, hard-working and love books and the process of making them.
Do you love books, design, layout and typography? Are you keen to work as part of a team on the delivery of Hardie Grant Books projects?
Hardie Grant Books is looking for a multi-skilled Design Coordinator to join the design and production team. If you are passionate about the creative process, enjoy working across a variety of projects, have an eye for detail and experience that highlights your creative flair and technical ability, we would like to hear from you.
Reporting to the Design Manager, you will support the team across a range of design and administrative tasks including:
- Assisting with the prepress and proofing process
- Ensuring design files are setup correctly for print and adhering to the Hardie Grant style guide
- Maintaining and managing databases
- General support to the design manager and wider department, including design work as required
Our ideal candidate will have a keen eye for design and a willingness to learn while working on a diverse range of book projects, as well as be a creative team player who brings a mix of artistic and technical knowledge to the role.
To be successful in this role you will possess the following key skills and knowledge:
- 1–2 years’ experience in a publishing, studio or agency setting
- A solid understanding of the fundamental principles of design, including typography, layout, and colour
- An advanced understanding of and technical ability in the Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and AcrobatPro (Photoshop and Illustrator skills are well regarded)
- Typesetting skills, with a general understanding of how to setup a file for publication design
- The ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, take direction and follow briefs
- A general understanding of 4c print, prepress and production
- Strong file management and organisation skills, as well as superior attention to detail
We are looking for a team player with a positive attitude who is able to work independently and with initiative.
If you are someone who sees a poorly designed book and cringes, dreams about fonts, colour swatches and understands the importance of great design, then you could be the person we are looking for.
Applications without a cover letter and CV will not be considered.
Hardie Grant is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We support flexible working and applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply, including people who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people with a disability.